It’s that glorious time of the year again. I share some of my favorite weird-yet-sexy costumes, and you vote on which one I must wear in a photo shoot. Why do I do this? Well, I don’t know. But you all seem to love it. Past winners have included The Kool-Aid Man, Boba Fett, and a “Sexy” Shark.
I’ve found a lot of fun options this year, so get ready for a whole bunch of choices. Let me know your faves in the comments below! I’ll tally up the votes on Monday, October 5th and start planning my shoot. And if you feel inspired to wear your own ridiculously sexy costume, you can find all of these at BuyCostumes.com! (Click the pics to see a larger version.)
Fairy Tale Heroines
These ladies will live sexily ever after.
She may be the fairest of them all, but her outfit needed some jazzing up. Now that it’s covered in sequins, woodland creatures, dwarves, and princes won’t be able to resist her!
This is like if Elle Woods and Barbie worked together to create a dream mermaid. That is a compliment.
Man, you thought you felt uncomfortable watching Johnny Depp get all predatory with Red. Wait till you see this sexy costume of a child visiting her grandma!
Fairy Tale Villains
It’s good to be bad.
So she likes furs and fine leather goods. What’s wrong with a woman her treats herself?
Ursula: Sexy sea urchin and mentor to young girls. Stresses the importance of girls’ voices.
The party don’t start till she walks in. I’m loving this sexy shoulder baring version of her traditional costume.
Women Throughout History
Women wore a lot less clothing than you may have thought.
Medusa was a monster, right? And supposed to be hideous? Am I missing something?
Who needs protective armor when you’ve got a sword and heels?
Ok, honestly, there’s been new research proving that there were a lot of women vikings, and that’s pretty awesome. But I’m guessing actual female vikings wore pants.
Wear this, and you’ll have an excuse to talk about and eat cake all night. Win-win.
Don’t be afraid to get wild this Halloween!
This is the easiest way to pick up a Firefighter without using a lighter.
What the hell is a fever zebra? Is it a zebra one sees in a fever dream? This outfit is terrifying.
Get Chris Pratt over here, asap. I need to be tamed.
Sexy Mario Bros
You’re no longer limited to only dressing as Princess Peach.
No one can resist that mustache.
Pair this with a little yellow dress and Mario will forget all about that princess he was looking for.
Always the Toad, never the Princess, am I right? (Who decided to make this costume?)
Give Mario a ride he’ll never forget.
As Seen on TV
Ruining your childhood classics, but in a sexy way.
Dress up as everyone’s favorite extremely violent and occasionally racist rabbit!
You could wear this out to a Halloween party, but I’m guessing Bert himself would rather stay at home.
This version of the iconic uniform may be a bit difficult to fight in.
Baywatch’s lifeguard uniforms were sexy enough. How did the Halloween costume add MORE clothing? AND an innertube?
These characters are putting the “graphic” in graphic novels.
I didn’t know there was an anime Wonder Woman until I saw this costume. I checked out the show, and holy cow, she’s bad-ass. I’m not even gonna make a joke. She’s that cool.
She likes a guy with a sense of humor. And a criminal record.
You can guarantee that no one will kiss you while you’re in this costume…
You make a mutant look good.
So, dear readers, what will it be? What costume will I be wearing for my annual Halloween shoot? Leave a comment below with your top choice(s)!
Sriracha, man. You all love it SO much. As some of you know, I’m a wimp when it comes to spicy food, so I didn’t get on the Sriracha bandwagon early on. But Cocktail Crate introduced me to their Sriracha Margarita mixer at the Fancy Food Show, and I needed more in my life. Their margarita was crisp and refreshing, with just a subtle bit of heat near the end of the sip. It’s the perfect drink for your next Mexican fiesta or anytime you want to pretend it’s still Summer. 😉 (If you haven’t heard of Cocktail Crate, you’ve gotta check them out. They create 2-ingredient cocktails (their mixers and the liquor of your choice) that taste like craft cocktails you’d spend a lot of money on. In addition to the Sriracha Margarita, I’m a big fan of their Spiced Old Fashioned and Grapefruit Daiquiri mixers. And the company itself for letting me try all of these.)
The Sriracha Margarita and other snack foods at IFBC had me thinking: How many Sriracha flavored items exist? The answer is approximately “a lot.” Here is just a small sample of everything out there!
Movies are gonna be WAY better with this! I bet the popcorn complements the sriracha well.
Want to make your own popcorn (or control the amount of sriracha on it)? Grab this seasoning!
Sriracha beef, but in “walking while you eat” form. Great for camping, hiking, or midday at work!
Ok, I’ve tried this on cauliflower and this stuff is amazing. Even if you’re a spice-wimp like me!
I think of this as the “fancy option” among these snacks. You’ll get a bit of spice with your salt, and the packaging is nice enough to give as a gift. (Bonus: The bottom is magnetic so you can stick it to your fridge!)
Almonds can get a little bland and boring after a while. You will never have that problem with these.
You’re already picturing giving these to your friends for Christmas and pretending they’re peppermint. You deserve coal.
Kettle Chips are already amazing. So this just makes them amazing-er. It’s a word.
Hey, there’s something out there for everyone.
I love the addition of lime to the sriracha for these pretzel crisps. They sound delicious!
Sriracha nut AND fruit mix! Spicy mango and cranberries? I could be down with that.
The ULTIMATE gift for the Sriracha lover. (Plus, there’s a dragon on it. Too cool!)
Are you a Sriracha fan? Have you tried these snacks? Let me know what you thought of them in the comments!
It’s that time of year again. The International Food Bloggers Conference is here, and I swear it’s like Christmas. I was too excited to sleep last night and everything!
Over the next few days, I’ll be meeting fellow food bloggers, chatting with awesome companies, learning about food photography and recipes and writing and more, and sampling some amazing food and wine. It’s all of my favorite things combined.
If you’re attending, look for me–I’ll have samples of my Steampunk Sprinkles for everyone!
For more information on IFBC, visit foodista.com/ifbc. Hope to see you there!
Dungeons and Dragons have been introducing their new storyline, Rage of Demons, lately and I couldn’t be more excited. The demons that have come together to wreak havoc are truly amazing, and I’m thrilled that the release date of their newest campaign, Out of the Abyss, is finally here! To celebrate, I’ve made a delicious snack based off one of my favorite demons, Zuggtmoy.
Zuggtmoy is the Demon Queen of Fungi, and in this storyline, she’s looking forward to marrying a large, city-sized fungus. It’s gonna be a wedding ceremony every Demon Queen of Fungi dreams about. And what better to have at your wedding reception than some beautiful stuffed mushrooms?
Make these for your own Demon Queen’s wedding or bridal shower, or make them as a game night snack while you dig into the newest campaign. Either way, you’ll be the “fungi” at the party when you bring them! (Sorry not sorry for that pun. I had to.)
Zuggtmoy Stuff Mushrooms
- 20 Crimini and/or white mushrooms in varying sizes
- 4 cups fresh, washed spinach
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and set the mushrooms, cavity side up, on the foil-lined baking sheet. Give the stems a fine chop.
- Cook the spinach in a pan until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach from the pan, squeeze out all excess liquid, and chop fine.
- Add 1 TBS of olive oil and the minced garlic in a pan, and saute until golden.
- Add the minced stems to the pan and saute until soft.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the spinach, breadcrumbs, and cheeses. Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Using a small spoon, stuff the mushroom cavities with the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling is golden on top and heated throughout.
- Serve and enjoy!
And speaking of Dungeons and Dragons… I’ll be a part of the Dungeons and Dragons Extra Life livestream on October 4th! Donate money to Seattle Children’s Hospital while helping me design the character I’ll be playing here. As a bonus, I’m competing against my husband to see who can raise more money each week. The loser has to do horrible tasks (like reciting poetry while eating hot wings) on video for your benefit! Check out my page at extra-life.org to find out more info and make a donation!
In just a little over a week (September 19th, to be exact), Doctor Who will be gracing our screens again, giving us a legitimate reason to stay in on Saturday evenings. And while the show is great on its own, it’s even better with some themed candied popcorn!
Give this quick and easy recipe a try–it’s the perfect item to have on hand for the premiere! (Watching at someone else’s house? This packs up easily and makes a fun treat to bring along!)
Doctor Who Candied Popcorn (with Adipose Marshmallows)
- 8 cups popped popcorn (I’d recommend air-popped plain or lightly salted popcorn)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 cups white chocolate chips or white candy melts
- 1 TBS Police Box Sprinkles
- 1 TBS blue sanding sugar
- 1 TBS white sanding sugar
- Mix the popcorn and the “adipose” (mini marshmallows) together, and place on a wax paper covered baking sheet.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring between cycles. Continue until chips are fully melted.
- Pour the melted white chocolate over the popcorn and marshmallows. Mix until evenly covered.
- Scatter the sprinkles and sparkling sugar over the popcorn, gently mix to evenly coat.
- Let cool until chocolate is hardened.
Eat it by the handful or put it in cute little party favor bags for guests. This recipe can easily be adapted to include other candies or types of sprinkles as well!
Need some sprinkles to make your candied popcorn? Use code “TIMEYWIMEY” when checking out between today and Wednesday to receive 12% off your order AND free priority shipping! I’ll get those sprinkles to you before the premiere!
(Not sure where to put in the code? Once you’ve added an item to your cart, click on the cart icon in the upper right of this page, and then click “view cart”. There will be an option for the promo code there!)
While at the Fancy Food Show in NYC, I came across a booth for Banza, a high protein and gluten free pasta made from chickpeas. I love pasta, I love chickpeas, and I love free samples of food, so I have to admit I stopped by their booth a couple times. The pasta sample was SO good. So good, in fact, that I’ve kept in contact with the folks over at Banza, and agreed to work with them on creating an awesome recipe showcasing their pasta. I’ve been testing it in all of my normal pasta dishes, and it works so well that Mr. Geek now requests it over normal pasta for dinner. But I didn’t want something normal. I wanted to make something EPIC. I turned one of my fave Mac and Cheese recipes into a slightly spicy, protein-packed, gluten-free dish made for a superhero. And I topped it with sprinkles because no one was there to stop me. Guess what? It was delicious. (And the sprinkles added a slightly sweet crunch which complemented the spicy mac and cheese really well!)
So give this dish a try when you want to make something warm, gooey, and comforting, that won’t leave you feeling like you just ate your weight in carbs. Pair it with a big, fresh garden salad and you’ve got yourself a balanced meal!
PLUS, get $10 off your order at eatbanza.com when you use code “GEEKYHOSTESS”!
Superhero Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 tbs gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 ounce pepperjack cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- One box Banza elbow macaroni (8 oz)
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) pepperjack cheese, grated
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs lightning bolt sprinkles
- To first make the sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour and continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.
- Let sauce cook until it thickens, about 10 minutes, while stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and add the cheeses and seasonings listed in the “SAUCE” section. Stir until everything is fully melted. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package, but remove 1 minute before the lowest cook time on the packaged directions. (It will continue cooking in the oven!) Rinse the pasta in cold water and let it drain.
- Oil an 8-inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce, and mix until well coated. Pour the mac and cheese mixture into the casserole dish.
- Cover the mac and cheese with the additional grated cheese, then the chili powder, then the gluten-free bread crumbs, and finally with the sprinkles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling and amazing looking. Enjoy!
(Don’t need gluten-free options? Feel free to use regular flour and bread crumbs!)
What’s your fave mac and cheese recipe? Would you be willing to try sprinkles on your dish? And have you tried Banza?
Want to know more about Geeky Hostess Sprinkles? Now it’s easy to do! Just click on the “Sprinkles” category at www.geekyhostess.com or visit geekyhostess.com/sprinkles! You’ll find a list of stores carrying Geeky Hostess products as well as some fun videos showing some unusual ways you can use the sprinkles. Check back often to see new retailers added to the list! Know a store or bakery that should carry Geeky Hostess Sprinkles? Let me know at email@example.com!
Remember running around in your Underoos, pretending to be your favorite superhero or cartoon character? Those days are BACK! (Ok, for some of us, those days never really left). Underoos has relaunched with a new line for kids AND grown-ups, so we can relive our childhood in style.
They sent me a pack of the C-3PO underoos (my fave Star Wars character I don’t care what anyone says), and while I won’t make you see me in all my Underoo glory, I can tell you that they’re ridiculously comfy. My slumber parties will never be the same! The tops can be worn out as normal (I plan to wear mine to a Star Wars event this week), and the underwear is large, silly, and comfortable, and will be perfect for cozy movie marathons at home.
They currently have DC and Star Wars shirts available in Men, Women, and Youth sizes. The women’s sizes are listed as “Juniors” but they’re a bit bigger than your average junior size.
And because Underoos is an awesome company, they want you to experience the ultimate geeky slumber party outfit as well. They’re going to give one reader a set of Underoos of their choice! Just fill out the Rafflecopter below.
Can’t wait to get yours? Use promo code “THEGEEKYHOSTESS” by September 30, 2015 to save $5 off your order!
Are you ready to embrace your inner child? Visit www.underoos.com to get started!
Well, this book is ridiculously fun. Sprinkles! is bright, colorful, and it feels like you’re at a party just going through it! But my fave party? The recipes varied from ridiculously easy (like the dipped waffle cones) to more complicated/time consuming (like the banana split trifle cake). They even teach you how to make your own sprinkles at home! (Although I prefer the Geeky Hostess sprinkles, myself!)
The recipes go beyond basic instructions and serve as inspiration. I tweaked the recipes based on my preferences, and had fun trying different types of sprinkles with them. I was even inspired to photograph my recipes like hers. If you have a copy of the book, you may see some similarity with how she stacks her dipped waffle cones and how my Instagram turned out!
I’d highly recommend this book for anyone who wants some fun excuses to use all of their sprinkles. At $13.12 on Amazon, it makes a great gift with a bottle or two of Geeky Hostess sprinkles as well! 😉 For more info on the recipes I tried, check out my Instagram (@GeekyHostess) and search for #GHCookBookClub.
Have you read Sprinkles!?
Patissez, a small bakery in Canberra, has created a monster. They’ve created and sell “Freakshows,” gigantic milkshakes topped with baked goods and spilling over with decadent ingredients like salted caramel, fudge, vanilla cream, and Nutella. The pictures have been everywhere the last few days, and when I first saw them, I stopped dead in my tracks. The milkshake was so ridiculous and messy and amazing and I had to have it. Unfortunately, plane tickets to Canberra are a bit out of my price range for a milkshake. So what’s a girl to do? MAKE HER OWN.
Three of their milkshakes incorporate baked goods made in house, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to compete with that. But one of them, the Nutella and Salted Pretzel shake, uses ingredients any of us can find at our local grocery store. Plus, who wouldn’t be up to the challenge of using half of a container of Nutella for one milkshake?
The tricks to this shake is to go big, get messy, and make as much as you can from scratch. Making homemade vanilla whipped cream gave it a nicer color, flavor, and texture than using the pre-made bright white stuff from a can. When it all came together, I stood back in awe. I felt a bit like Dr. Frankenstein: giddy at my monstrous creation, and thrilled that I had done it. But after consuming just a fifth of it? I had wondered what I had brought into the world. This shake is rich, huge, disgustingly delicious, and it should not be for one mere mortal. Please, drink responsibly and share this with your entire family.
Ok, enough disclaimers. Let’s get to the recipe.
Nutella and Salted Pretzel Freakshow Shake
- 3 cups ice cream
- Nutella. Just bring the whole container to this party. You’ll use a little under half of it.
- 2/3 cup milk
- mini pretzels
- vanilla whipped cream (see recipe below)
- Place the ice cream, 1/3 cup Nutella, 2/3 cup milk, and 6 mini pretzels in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Take a mason jar and make a stripe around the inside of the jar with the Nutella.
- Cover the outside rim of the jar with Nutella–enough where pretzels can be pushed into it and stick.
- Place mini pretzels on the Nutella-covered rim of the jar in a decorative fashion.
- Pour the milkshake into the mason jar. Leave some room at the top for a cleaner experience, fill it to the brim if you want “milkshake waterfalls” to pour out everywhere.
- Place the vanilla whipped cream in a ziplock bag and cut off one of the corners, making a makeshift piping bag. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the milkshake. Don’t be afraid to go above the jar and over the sides a bit!
- Using a spoon, plop small amounts of Nutella onto the top of the whipped cream. Stick mini pretzels into the little Nutella pockets you’ve made.
- Crush 2-3 pretzels into dust and sprinkle it on top of the milkshake.
- Add some fun straws for flair, and enjoy!
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Begin whisking the cream in a cold bowl. (If using a mixer, work up to using one of the faster settings)
- Slowly add the vanilla and powdered sugar while continuing to mix the cream.
- Mix until stiff peaks form.
The beauty of a milkshake is that it’s easy to experiment and fix your mistakes. Want it thicker? Add more ice cream? Want it thinner? Add more milk. Need more Nutella? Add more Nutella. (Or just lick the edge of the jar, for goodness sake. There’s SO MUCH Nutella everywhere.) I made all of the shake’s ingredients in denominations of 3s so you can easily increase or decrease the size.
If you could make your own flavor of freakshow shake, what would you include? I think mine would be a banana cookies and cream shake with chocolate whipped cream, multiple oreos, and an entire banana. Cause why not?