How cool would these be peeking out of your bathtub? These tentacle wall decals come in a variety of sizes, so they can come out of your sink, tub, shower, or anywhere else you may want. Tentacles not your thing? StickerBrand has a variety of options including tree branches, pirate ships, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the moon.
StickerBrand is available on Fab.com for a limited time, so grab them while you can get the discount!
Amy Sedaris is an inspiration to me. She’s an actress, a comedian, an author of cookbooks and craft books, and according to Wikipedia, “runs a cupcake and cheese ball business, Dusty Food Cupcakes, out of her home kitchen.” So, you know, she’s living pretty much all of my life goals. She can now add “fabric designer” to her list of accomplishments.
Her “I Like You” fabric collection features bright, quirky prints including images of rick rack, dollar signs, and the phrase “I like you” over and over.
You can find her fabric in larger cuts, variety packs, and craft kits, as well as Sedaris’ books at Fab.com.
I’m off to quilt with the “I Like You” print and learn how to make cheese balls.
Wow, first week of June has already come and gone. If the weather stays like it’s been, I’m going to be a happy camper for the next few months! Lots of exciting things this week:
Favorite Store: The Geeky Hostess Store
I’ve launched an online store! There are only a few products in it to start, but more are on their way. I’ll let you know as new items are added, but in the meantime, check it out!
Favorite Read: The Skimm
The Skimm is a daily email newsletter that fills you in on what’s been in happening in news and pop culture in easy, bite-sized pieces. By the time you’ve finished reading it, you’ll be able to intelligently butt your way into any conversation you may overhear. Sign up at TheSkimm.com.
Favorite Gift Idea: Say It With Bacon
Oscar Meyer wins for best marketing. They’ve launched a new site where you can send gifts of bacon (or some fun e-cards) to a loved-one in your life. Visit SayItWithBacon.com.
Favorite Kickstarter: Arkyd
Get a “space selfie” or help a classroom learn more about space by kickstarting a space telescope! Visit Kickstarter.com.
Favorite Activity: Science EXPO
Come see me emcee the Science EXPO Day in Seattle Center tomorrow! It’s free!
Favorite Blog: My Month on Yankee
A family friend moved onto Yankee Ferry, a historic landmark in NY, and blogged about her month there. It’s a fascinating read! MyMonthWithYankee.Tumblr.com.
I recently had the opportunity to try Black Box Wines, and luckily that opportunity came the day before my Arrested Development party. I was considering picking up boxed wine as “Lucille’s Juicebox” but was dreading picking up your standard Franzia or other boxed wines that are known for being cheap but not much else. Black Box wine is decent wine that just happens to be boxed. But still–what’s the benefit of having Black Box, or other boxed wine, at your parties?
- It’s inexpensive. One of these boxes holds 4 bottles of wine, and at around $25 each, that’s a cheaper price per bottle than you can normally get.
- It’s low maintenance. You don’t need to worry about opening up multiple bottles throughout the party. Just put one of these guys on your table, and you’re ready to go.
- It lasts longer. If you don’t go through the whole box at one party, it’s not a problem. One of these boxes will last a month. We didn’t finish all of the Merlot at the party, so I’ve been able to enjoy a small glass of wine here and there with dinner or use some when cooking without worrying about opening and finishing an entire bottle of wine. This is actually my favorite part of these boxes!
My friends seemed skeptical at first, but a couple of them had heard of Black Box and knew they were decent. They seemed to enjoy it–the Sauvignon Blanc didn’t make it through the night!
So how can you use these? Try any of these ideas:
- Minecraft party
- Pixelated/nostalgic games party
- Arrested Development party
- Wine tasting party (Keep it in the kitchen and pour it along with a few bottled wines into different glasses. Hold a tasting and see what people like best!)
If you want to learn a bit more about Black Box Wines or pick some up for yourself, visit blackboxwines.com. They’ve also got some cute little tetra packs that hold 3 glasses of wine that are perfect for picnics.
Are you a boxed wine drinker? Would you get boxed wine for a party you’re hosting?
I’m thrilled to be the emcee at the Science EXPO Day happening this Saturday at the Seattle Center. According to the website, “Science EXPO Day is a festive, one-day event featuring over 150 booths, activities, demonstrations, and performances that celebrate science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and show how integral they are to the region’s culture and prosperity.”
From 12pm-6pm I’ll be going back and forth between the large stage and small stage introducing performers like Massive Monkees and The Not Its and presentations on things like dangerous science, the science behind psychics/magicians, and much more.
I wandered into the Science EXPO Day last year, and it was an amazing event. Kids and families everywhere were getting so excited about science while talking to people who worked in the field. It’s an incredible feeling to see so many kids (particularly so many little girls) that wanted to do something involving science when they grow up. Take your kids and share the love and excitement!
And if you see me, say “Hi!”
Visit seattlesciencefestival.org for more info on Science EXPO Day and the calendar of stage performances.
Game of Thrones Fans: I thought you all could use something to go with that whine after last week’s episode.
These wine charms showcase six house sigils from Game of Thrones including Stark, Tyrell, Targaryen, Baratheon, Greyjoy, and Lannister. Pick your alliances wisely and trust your friends to obey basic hospitality rules while in your home!
The set is perfect for your next viewing party and makes a great hostess, housewarming, or wedding gift.
The wine charms are available for $24.99 for a set of 6 at ThinkGeek.com.
Lauren created a fantastic room themed around Portal. I’m loving the mirrors, the detailing/shading on the walls, and all of the artwork. She took plenty of pictures and recorded everything she did (and everything she bought) to make the room, and put it all on a blog titled “The Portal Bedroom.” Check it out if you’re interested in replicating the room or just want some inspiration for your own room remodel.
What video game would you base a room design around?
Happy Friday! It looks like Seattle’s finally remembering it’s almost June. I’m looking forward to a sunny weekend ahead of us!
Favorite Video: Job Hunters
We’re busy in pre-production for the second season of Job Hunters, and it’s been fun being back in that mode. Second season is going to be amazing, and it’s a good chance to go back and watch the first season. Check it out if you haven’t already!
Favorite Activity: Re-Watching Arrested Development
This is more of an anticipatory activity, because I haven’t had the chance to do much of it yet, but from the couple of episodes I’ve re-watched, I’ve already loved it more. My friends are saying the same thing. Give it a try!
Favorite Site: Netflix
Oh dear, I’ve fallen onto the Netflix bandwagon. I’m doing my best to get everything out of my system before my free trial runs out, but there are so many cool shows and movies that I’ve missed on there! Plus, I hear I have to check out some of their original shows (House of Cards and Hemlock Grove). What would you recommend I see while I still have Netflix?
Favorite Exercise: Prancercise
You know you want an excuse to prance around town, and now you have it. If anyone asks what you’re doing, just do your best “hipster-only-doing-this-ironically” look and say “Prancercising.” Anyone making fun of it is just jealous they’re not confident enough to do it.
What have been your fave things this week?
If you need more Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in your life, then get yourself to a Target. Their summer collection features some great pieces starring your favorite DC characters! Some of my faves include:
Wonder Woman Apron. You can’t go wrong here. $9.99.
Justice League Serving Tray. Perfect for surprising your Wonder Woman or Superman with breakfast in bed. $11.99.
“Flash” Cup. This cup looks cool and the fact it’s acrylic means it’s super easy to take with you for picnics and parties! $2.99.
Batman Beach Towel. Your pool adventures just got more epic. $10.99.
You can find the whole collection at Target.com. Make sure you check out their ideas for incorporating the Justice League in your summer activities, like their fantastic comic book picnic spread!
May 29th may not officially be “Hug a Geek Day” (yet), but it’s my personal Hug a Geek Day. 2 years ago today, Mr. Geek and I got married. (It was magical, and if you haven’t yet seen the video, you can check it out here.)
On this day, I like to reflect a bit about geeks and relationships. Having a geek as a partner (or a friend, or a mentor, or a colleague) is absolutely amazing, because they do things a little bit differently than other folks.
- They understand passion. Whether it’s for a tv show, a moment in history, a theorem, or a person, they understand that you can get so focused on something that nothing else matters. A good partner/friend will let you have your time to focus on this passion, encourage your growth in this field, but will also be able to tactfully remind you that there is more to life than that.
- They introduce you to new things. You have your passions and they have theirs. If you take some time to share them with each other, you’re both going to grow.
- They’re creative. A lot of the games geeks play (whether they’re tabletop or video) involve a lot of imagination and storytelling. Geeks are able to tell stories effectively and in an entertaining fashion. Think of your DM. Or the writers of your favorite shows. Or the folks who made your favorite game. A geek as a partner means it’s likely you’ll never be bored.
- They’re driven. When geeks are passionate about something, they want to grow in it. Learn more about it, become a part of it. And you don’t stand in the way of a geek’s passion. Whether they’re driven to code the perfect site, get hired by the perfect game company, finish the perfect novel, or just make the best mac and cheese ever, you’re likely to win by being surrounded by that hard-working spirit.
Whether your geek embodies one or all of these characteristics, today’s a day to let them know you appreciate them. Give them a hug. Let them know why they’re so amazing. Share your passions with them and ask to learn more about theirs. And share your love for them!
Who’s the amazing geek in your life? And did you hug a geek today?