Another day, another cupcake. Am I right? It’s sure felt like that lately. Between birthdays and all of the hullabaloo (wow, what am I, 70?) surrounding the Seahawks these past couple weeks, I’ve been making a lot of cupcakes! For the big game, I made two different types: Beast Mode cupcakes with a fantastic recipe from Trophy Cupcakes, and Blue Moon Cupcakes.
I thought beer and the Super Bowl went nicely together, and since our city has been celebrating “Blue Fridays” to show their spirit for the Seahawks, it seemed fitting to make a “Blue” cake. I started with a basic recipe from Brittany, Herself and altered it to make what you see here.
- Box of yellow cake mix
- Oil (amount requested on the back of the cake mix box)
- Eggs (amount requested on the back of the cake mix box)
- 1 bottle + 3 TBS of Blue Moon
- 2 tsp orange extract, separated
- 2 cups (4 sticks) of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven per the cake box instructions. Line 24 cupcake cups with wrappers.
- Place the cake mix, oil, eggs into a mixer. Look at the instructions on the cake box for water, but instead of water, use Blue Moon. (My recipe called for one cup.) Add the Blue Moon and orange extract to the mixer. Mix thoroughly.
- Fill the cupcake wrappers ⅔ full with the cupcake batter.
- Bake according to instructions on the back of the box, or until cupcakes are golden and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool on a baking rack while you prepare the frosting.
- Place the butter in a mixer and mix until light, smooth, and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing in between each cup.
- Using a spatula, scrape the sides and the mixer and mix again until butter and sugar are fully mixed.
- Add the Blue Moon, vanilla extract, orange extract, and a pinch of salt and slowly mix until incorporated.
- Mix at a higher speed for a couple minutes until frosting has an even consistency and appears light and fluffy.
- Add more Blue Moon or orange extract to taste, mix thoroughly.
- Using a large pastry tip, frost the cooled cupcakes. Top with sprinkles or the decoration of your choice.
- (I dyed the frosting a light blue. If you'd like to add color, place a few drops of food coloring in at the same time as the other liquids. Mix thoroughly.)