I wanted to make a burger-themed cupcake in honor of the new Bob’s Burgers season premiere, and I’ve always wanted to try this version I’ve seen around. I thought it would be difficult to make it look convincing, but it was surprisingly easy. I had multiple people asking if they were sliders.
Bonus? These cupcakes are fantastic if you plan on dressing up as Gene at a con or for Halloween. The cupcakes are the perfect size for his sample tray, and they’ll last a lot longer than real burgers!
The recipe is adapted from Duncan Hines. Check it out below!
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix, plus ingredients listed in the instructions on the back
- 1 Box Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix, plus ingredients listed in the instructions on the back
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup (or more, to taste) shredded coconut
- Red, Yellow, and Green gel food coloring
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Bake yellow cupcakes and chocolate cupcakes in greased cupcake pans WITHOUT cupcake wrappers. Follow the instructions on the back of the cake mix boxes.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan for around 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack to completely cool.
- Make buttercream frosting by putting the unsalted butter into a mixer and mixing on medium-high until butter is completely smooth and against the bowl.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar to the butter until it is fully mixed.
- Add in the vanilla extract and salt and mix until you have a whipped buttercream frosting texture.
- Split the buttercream frosting into 3 separate bowls. Add red coloring to one until it looks like ketchup, add yellow coloring to one until it looks like mustard, and keep one white.
- Mix the shredded coconut and a small amount of the green food coloring in a bowl until it looks like shredded lettuce.
- Slice the yellow cupcakes in half horizontally.
- Slice the chocolate cupcakes in thirds horizontally. (You should be able to cut the bottom in half, and then slice a small portion of the rounded bit off the top to create three “meat patties”.)
- Spread a small amount of the white frosting in the center of the bottom half of the yellow cupcake. Place a brown cupcake “patty” on top.
- Using a pastry bag and a small round tip, pipe the frosting around the edges of the brown cupcake “patty”. Allowing the frosting to fall over onto the sides will help it show up even more once it’s all pieced together!
- Sprinkle the coconut “lettuce” on top of the frosting.
- Place the top of the yellow cupcake on top of your mini cupcake burger.
- Lightly brush the top of the cupcake with water and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Marvel at the adorable hamburger cupcake you’ve just created! Repeat until all cupcakes have been made.