Surprise balls are one of the ultimate DIY gifts which are now as good as BACON ROSES + Dark Chocolate for a gift. Seriously. These gifts are like mini parties in one: your recipient has the joy of unwrapping their gift and getting multiple tiny surprises, while covering themselves with colorful crepe paper! Plus, you look like a wonderful and creative human being, and it only took you a few bucks and a few minutes! Win-win.
The premise is simple: Start with your largest gift in the center and wrap around it with crepe paper streamers. Continue to wrap the streamer around, working it towards a ball-shape, and pause every once in a while to add another small gift. Continue to do this until all gifts are fully wrapped inside of the ball. That’s it!
The fun, though, is coming up with ways to decorate and theme the ball. You can change the color of the streamers throughout by taping two colored streamers together, you can dress up the front with washi tape and stickers, or you can create a replica of a round object and theme the gifts inside appropriately.
Here are some ideas for geeky surprise balls:
The Golden Snitch
Using gold crepe paper, create a surprise ball and add wings to the back. Fill with Harry Potter-themed goodies! These can include:
- Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans
- Gold from Gringotts Bank
- A Time Turner
- Pins, stickers, and other accessories in the recipient’s house colors
- Favorite quotes from the books
The Dungeon Master
Invite your friends to a Dungeons and Dragons game, and give them everything they’ll need to start their adventure! This can include:
- A set of dice
- A miniature
- Riddles or puzzles
- Clues that will help them during the campaign
- “Coupons” they can cash in during the campaign. For instance:
- Redeem this slip of paper for: One re-roll. (Can be given to another player or NPC.)
- Redeem this slip of paper for: One random item from the Trinkets page.
- Redeem this slip of paper for: Advantage or Disadvantage on the roll of your choice. (Can be given to another player or NPC.)
Here are some other fun ideas:
- Put a bunch of stocking stuffers/candies in a surprise ball with black crepe paper streamers–it’ll look like coal!
- Make a pokeball-themed surprise ball with mini Pokemon goodies inside!
- Know a sports fan? Put sports-themed goodies (or a note saying you’ve got tickets to the big game) inside a surprise ball that looks like their sports ball of choice!
What type of surprise ball do you want to make? Let me know in the comments!