On Friday, I appeared on the Geek Nation podcast to talk a bit about geek etiquette. We revisited an old post topic on gaming too much, and also tackled a new one: what to do if someone you know is smelly. You can check out the podcast here, I come in at around 18:30.
Here are some of the main bullet points on the “smelly” issue:
To Keep Yourself From Being Smelly:
- Shower daily
- Wash your clothes regularly
- Use deodorant
- Use fragrance if you’d like, but be conscious of how much you use. If you can still smell it on yourself without trying after 5-10 minutes of applying, you’ve put too much on.
- Traveling/at a convention? Keep a travel-sized deoderant with you. I keep one in my glove compartment–it’s come in handy often!
- Febreeze works wonders for hard-to-clean costumes or while traveling.
Does Someone You Know Smell?
- If you’re really close to them, talk to them. Make it a private but direct conversation. You’re there to help them.
- Not as close to them? Have someone who is talk to them, or present them a small fragrance gift that “made you think of them.” (ThinkGeek has some sweet Avengers Cologne available!)
Have you dealt with the smelliness issue before? How did you handle it?
Don’t forget to check out the full conversation I had with BJ Shea’s Geek Nation!