We’re one week away from the launch of The Minecrafter’s Cookbook! I still haven’t seen the book in person, it should arrive any day. I can’t wait! In the meantime, I wanted to share another recipe from the book with you.
Today I’m sharing a recipe that sounds gross, but is actually quite delicious. This “not-so-rotten-flesh” is homemade beef jerky, and I promise you won’t take any damage eating it. This is great to make before a long gaming or Netflix session, to bring on a hike, or just to have on hand as a nice protein snack. I thought beef jerky would be super intimidating, but this is actually fairly easy! Just takes a bit of time and patience. Give it a try, and then check out the other Minecraft recipes:
(Want your own copy of the book? You can pre-order it at SkyHorsePublishing.com.)
- 1 lb flank steak (as lean as you can get it)
- ⅔ cups soy sauce
- ⅔ cups Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- To cut your steak into strips, freeze it for an hour and then have an adult with a large, sharp knife, cut it into as thin of strips as you can manage, less than ¼ inch thick. Cut with the grain is you want traditional chewy jerky, and against the grain if you want the jerky to be a bit more tender and brittle. Cut off any large pieces of fat you see on the slices. (A butcher may be able to do this slicing for you when you initially purchase the steak. Just ask!)
- Place the steak slices into a large, resealable freezer bag.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into the bag, seal, and move around the steak so it's fully covered.
- Let the steak marinade in the refrigerator overnight (or for at least 3 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees F (or as low as your oven will go) and cover two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack over each baking sheet.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and gently pat with a paper towel to remove extra marinade.
- Lay the steak out on the wire racks and place into the oven.
- Cook for 4 hours.
- Check on the meat. Is it dry and leathery? It should crack when you bend it, but not completely break. If it's not dry enough for you, place back in the oven and continue to check every 30 minutes. (The time it takes to fully dry will depend on the thickness of your meat, temperature of your oven, and your personal preferences. It may take a couple more hours!)
- Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Pingback: Grass Block Brownies from The Minecrafter's Cookbook | The Geeky Hostess
Pingback: Ice Plains Biome Bark from The Minecrafter’s Cookbook – The Geeky Hostess
Looks like yummy and healthy. And love the easy to try recipe idea.