Game of Thrones comes back on Sunday…are you prepared? If you haven’t planned a viewing party yet, it’s not too late! Here are some tips on how to throw a quick and killer party to accompany the premiere of season three:
- Visit your grocery store and pick up some nice breads, cheeses, salami, olives, and figs to put together a great plate of snacks. The more rustic looking, the better! You’ll eat as the characters do and the foods will perfectly complement a nice beer or wine. If you have the time and are feeling adventurous, you can make your own bread and salami with recipes from The Unofficial Game of Thrones Cookbook!
- Speaking of beer and wine, make sure you pick up Ommegang brewery’s Iron Throne Blonde Ale, the official Game of Thrones beer. The ale is limited edition, so pick up a few if you find it! I found my bottle at Cost Plus World Market.
- House pint glasses, shot glasses, and coasters will be an excellent piece of decor or party favor! You can find all of the house sigils and more Game of Throne goodies from Things From Another World.
- Remember the Game of Thrones Arms Creator I posted about yesterday? Set up a station where your friends can create their own arms and print it out. Hang them up with clothespins during the party, and let them take it home with them as a souvenir after the event’s over.
What will you be doing for the premiere?
One of my favorite parts of PAX East was visiting the Classic Console room and playing some SNES with my little brother. It felt like we were kids again, fighting over games! Now I can relive the nostalgia of old-school Nintendo games in my home with ThinkGeek’s Retro Video Game Cartridge Pillows. They’ve created some game names that I wish existed when I was younger, and made the pillows extra large and squeezable.
Now that I’m home with the “con crud,” “PAX Pox” or whatever the kids are calling it now, snuggling up with these, some classic consoles, and some chicken soup is pretty much all I want.
You can get a pair of these pillows for $34.99 at ThinkGeek.com.
Season 3 is coming. (Soon actually–on Sunday!) Prepare yourself by creating your own Family Arms. You can personalize one just like the ones from the show or create a more custom one to suit your modern-day interests. I was legitimately surprised to see that a cupcake was one of their options!
Visit JoinTheRealm.com and then let me know in the comments what your Arms looks like! And stay tuned tomorrow for some tips on throwing your own Game of Thrones viewing party. Will you be watching on Sunday?
I had the pleasure of meeting Bexx Fine at PAX East (I mean, how can you not go up to someone who’s rocking TMNT heels?), and realized that I had seen her before at SDCC. Wherever this girl goes, you notice her! She’s always decked out in her own creations, fantastic accessories made from comic books. Lucky for us, she also sells them online. I’m currently in love with her Iron Man Wristlet and her Spider-man Bow Tie. Check out her entire story on Etsy or visit BexxFine.com to learn a bit more about her and see some of her past creations!
Now for the big question: Which comic/fandom would you want on a pair of heels? I’m still in love with her TMNT ones…
Doctor Who is coming back on Saturday, so clearly the return is the perfect excuse to re-do your kitchen. (Or am I the only one to think that way?)
Here are some of my fave pieces from the BBC Who Home Collection:
Teapot Dalek Orange: It may not say “WOULD YOU CARE FOR SOME TEEEEEAAA?” but it is one step closer to me getting a Dalek teapot…
Espresso cups and Saucers, Set of 4: I’m surprised the BBC called these “Espresso cups” instead of tea cups. They must know they’re catering to us folks in the states. I love the bright colors and modern look of this set.
Dalek Oven Glove: The Dalek’s already part egg beater, so it makes sense that they would be at home in the kitchen.
Cyberman Apron: Become a Cyberman in this awesome apron that would work for any member of your home!
Teatowels, TARDIS and Multimonster Double Pack: These teatowels would compliment most kitchens nicely and throw in just the perfect amount of geekiness.
You can find all of these and more at the BBC Doctor Who Home store.
At PAX East, I had the pleasure of running into a bunch of great geek lifestyle bloggers–some I knew of, some I just learned about this weekend. Take a look at the list of awesome people I met, and make sure you start including them in your daily reading!
- PwnLove: This gamer fashion blog will keep you up to date on all of the latest gaming clothing lines, as well as what the blogger is wearing. I may have a special post planned with her for a later date!
- Console to Closet: Another gamer fashion blog, this one focuses on wearable outfits inspired by your favorite video gamers. They’re subtle and fashionable to be worn anywhere–only you and the biggest gamers will know what you’re really wearing!
- The Drunken Moogle: Looking for a cocktail based on your favorite game? Look no further. The Drunken Moogle is one of my fave blogs, and I was psyched to meet the creator in person!
- GamerWife: The creator of the GamerWife blog gets extra points for making me look good in front of my brother when she recognized me on the floor at PAX. Her blog includes video game reviews, recipes, adorable animal pics, and more!
What are some of your favorite geek lifestyle bloggers?
To show our appreciation for everyone who’s been donating and sharing our Kickstarter campaign, we created this contest! Haven’t watched the series, donated, or shared out our Kickstarter yet? There’s still time! Just follow the instructions in the contest below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
It’s time for some more Friday Favorites! These are things I’ve personally been loving this week. Check it out and let me know in the comments what your favorites of the week have been!
Graphic Novel: Husbands
You may have seen the web series. You may have read the individual issues. Now you can get the trade, starting on March 27th. I took a peek at it, and laughed out loud multiple times in the first few pages alone. The writing is snappy, the art is fun, and I may like it even more than the web series it’s based off of! Plus, Neil Gamin wrote the intro. Because it’s that awesome. You can pre-order it here.
Kickstarter: Job Hunters
Another day, another mention of Job Hunters. We did the math, and if all of our existing subscribers donated $3 to the campaign, we’d be well over our goal. Help us out, even with a few dollars, right here! And if you have donated, we’ve got awesome “Tiny Marshmallow” badges for you!
Treat: Banana Bread
In an effort to let less food go to waste, I made some impromptu banana bread this week with some browning bananas and some household staples. Bonus: I used the same recipe that I used at 4am during Extra Life! You can find the recipe here.
Airline: Virgin America
I’m lucky enough to get to fly to and from Boston on Virgin, my favorite airlines. You just feel cooler riding in their planes. Plus, they’s relatively inexpensive, I’ve never had delays on their flights, their food is healthy, tasty, and sometimes cheaper than in the airport, and their entertainment options keep me happy even if I’m in the middle seat. I’ve never had a bad experience with them. And I’ve now officially jinxed myself for the ride back home. Consider Virgin America for your next trip!
I’ve made the trek over to snowy Boston where I’ll be visiting with my brother and checking out the newest in gaming at PAX East! At PAX? You can find me at the following events:
Blending Games and Life Panel – Saturday, 10:30am
PAX After Hours with Scott and Kris – Saturday, 9:00pm
Improv Initiative 2 (I’m performing!) – Sunday, 12:00pm
I’m also running the @PAXParties twitter handle, so you’ll most likely see me out and about at the events happening in the evening.
If you happen to be at PAX East and see me roaming around the show floor on Sunday, make sure you come up and say “Hi!” I’ll have my brother in tow and I want him to think I’m cool.
Not at PAX East? I’ll be attempting to update Twitter as often as the convention center will allow!
I hope to see some of you there!
Check out this cute infographic! I’m oddly proud of the fact that I already own some of these things. My fave being the 8-Bit Oven Mitt.