If you have spent any time with me recently or follow me on any social media, you’re probably aware that I’ve been obsessed with Hamilton. And honestly, you should be obsessed with it too. For those of you who haven’t heard of it, Hamilton: An American Musical is a Broadway show that uses hip hop, rap, and diverse, color-blind casting to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton’s life. I know. It sounds ridiculous. But I promise, even if you don’t listen to rap, even if you’re not an American history buff, you’ve gotta give it a try. Right now. You can find it on Spotify and iTunes and Amazon and wherever you listen to music. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
…Done? Good. Now, remember the song “My Shot”? It’s probably the one stuck in your head at this very moment. We’re gonna play with that today and make Hamilton’s Shot!
Hamilton’s Shot is a red, white, and blue shot made with Caribbean rum. It’s colorful and tasty and fun. Plus, the shot comes with a “greenback” for those who need a bit of a chaser. (Get it? Cause Hamilton was the first Secretary of the Treasury and he’s on the $10 bill! I know, genius.) But you may not even need it: the grenadine and blue curacao add a very fruity and sweet taste, so you’ll barely even notice the burn of the rum.
Now, the trick to getting the beautiful red, blue, and white layers is to tip the shot glass slightly and to slowly pour the next ingredient onto the glass so it meets up with the previous layer. The first try or two may not turn out super well. Don’t throw away your shot! Take a break and enjoy the not-as-pretty but still tasty drink, and then try one last time. Soon enough you’ll have a shot that makes you satisfied.
- 1 part grenadine
- 1 part blue curacao
- 1 part Caribbean white rum
- (optional) green fruity drink (I found a green Sunny D in the juice aisle. Ecto-cooler could also do the trick!)
- Pour grenadine into a shot glass, filling it just 1/3 of the way. That would be enough.
- Tip the shot glass and slowly pour in the blue curacao, aiming for the inside wall of the shot glass.
- While still tipping the glass, pour the white rum slowly, aiming for the inside wall of the shot glass.
- Slowly place the shot glass upright and marvel at the beautiful shot you created!
- Pour some of the “greenback” into a glass.
- Time to take a shot! (Once you perfect this shot, you’ll be making them non-stop for your friends!)
Now that I’ve made one Hamilton-themed drink, what comes next? I think I’ll have to perfect a recipe for a Hurricane. 😉
Are you a fan of Hamilton? Have you seen the show? CAN YOU GET ME TICKETS? Lemme know in the comments!
(By the way, I’ve slipped some Hamilton song titles in this post. How many can you find?)