As I’ve been making cupcakes for others, I’ve found the need for a vegan, allergen-free recipe. Although this recipe isn’t gluten-free, it does take care of people who can’t have dairy or eggs. I was turned on to the type of recipe, “crazy cakes”, by the makeup artist on the Job Hunters set. Apparently this type of cake was made often during the depression/war time because of the lack of more expensive ingredients. The only weirdish ingredient in it is white vinegar, but I promise you can’t taste it (even in the raw batter). Almost everything else you should be able to find in your pantry already!
These particular cupcakes were made for my dad’s birthday–I expected them to taste weird or different, but the family loved them, even those who didn’t have food allergies. The cupcakes turn out pretty light and fluffy and can be topped with a frosting of your choice. (I used canned frosting for these–but here’s a dairy free frosting recipe from Divvies, courtesy of MarthaStewart.com.) I then topped the frosting with tons of sprinkles and hand-molded chocolate dinosaurs, cause they were born around the same time as my dad. 🙂 You can find the same mold at Amazon.com.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (the original recipe calls for cake flour, but it turns out just fine without, in case you don't have it)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare cupcake pans with wrappers
- In a medium bowl, lightly mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until well combined. Add dry ingredient mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake tins, filling each cup ½ to ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Immediately remove cupcakes from muffin tin and transfer to a wire rack to let cool.
- Frost and enjoy!
Do you have any fave recipes for people with dietary restrictions? Share the links in the comments!
Hey…I saw that! Dinosaurs were almost totally extinct when I was born!